WATCHFRIENDS

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

[ tv review ] "24" The best show I might refuse to watch.


Even though I just stated watching this show, and even though I enjoy it immensely, I think I'm going to stop watching.


So we're two weeks and five episodes into season five of "24". I had never watched an episode of the show, always intending to get a DVD set and watch it from the beginning. That was three years ago after season one. That stretched into two seasons and three and finally four seasons (how poetic).

That's nearly a hundred hours and counting. Like I'm ever going to be able to watch all of that. But the storyline for this upcoming season intrigued me more than any of the other previous seasons and seemed like it might be a good jumping on point, withOUT having to watch the other four seasons.

Basically, at the end of last season, for whatever reason, it doesn't really matter, Kiefer Sutherland's character, Jack Bauer, faked his own death and went into exile in the deserts of Tatooine. It might have been somewhere in California. Point is, he was basically starting over and that seemed like a great place for me to start.

And I was right.

"24" is great goofy fun. It's like watching a James Bond movie with a more substantial plot and more believable characters.

Anyway, from the first moment, I knew I was going to like it. I fortunately was able to watch the season premiere with a friend of mine who is a 24 junkie, and I was able to pause the DVR extensively throughout the show to ask questions and get caught up.

Though five episodes, I thoroughly enjoy it.

So why am I thinking of stopping watching it? (man, that doesn't look gramatarically correct)

It's because I think this show will truly be amazing in one condensed marathon viewing session.

The first four episodes were aired in two two-hour blocks on back to back nights. That made it really easy to get into the plot, characters and tone of the show. But then it was a week until the next episode.. and I find that I have forgotten many of the finer details of the show, like all the names of the supporting characters, etc. And it's going to be another week until the next episode.

Unlike my previous threats of watching the season sets of 24, I know I actually will follow through on it this time. I'm hooked.

The only thing is, can I actually NOT know something about a TV show that I'm interested in? Can I not spoil myself with the details of the show before I get a chance to sit down and watch it? Will my friend and my brothers who are rabid fans of the show tell me things I wish I didn't know? CAN I wait? Especially since I know that waiting will make a greater viewing experience.

Unlike a show like LOST that invites conjecture and theories about the mysteries of the show, "24" has more of a straightforward spy/terrorism plot. The rest of the season will just be about finding out WHO is behind the crisis. As much as I like "24", I don't see myself sitting around thinking about it or trying to solve the mystery in my head.

It's quite a dilemma. Can I turn off the TV and NOT watch a show that I like.

Stay tuned. (or not)

No comments: