WATCHFRIENDS

Sunday, February 12, 2006

[ movie review ] Dark Water aka "The movie that soured me to Japanese horror"


That's right. I've had enough. No more horror movies based on Japanese horror movies.

I'm not sure what's going on over in Japan, but apparently there is an alarming rate of child murders taking place, because it seems nearly every horror movie coming from over there is about a dead kid seeking revenge. I think Japanese Dateline needs to do some sort of expose on that or something.

Anyway, Dark Water, starring Jennifer Connelly, was the most suspense-free horror movie I've ever seen. While some may find that refreshing, I was bored. The acting is good, just judging based on its own merit, but the characters didn't have anything interesting to do.

The ads made it look like it was going to be some sort of Amityville Horror sort of movie, but all the scary-ish stuff from the trailer came from one dream sequence in the movie.

(spoiler alert!)


The dark water in question, is really just the result of a dead kid stuck in a building's spiritual plumbing. Yawn.


It was a mess, and I'm not talking about the icky water.

No comments: