WATCHFRIENDS

Friday, April 04, 2008

Battlestar Galactica - Season Four - Episode 1



Okay, I was pretty harsh on Season three of BSG, and deservedly so. It really went south after the first five (classic) episodes. I was a grump about the show the entire rest of the season.

But... it's been nearly a years since last season's finale. My anger has subsided. The wounds have healed...mostly. I'm going to give BSG the chance to make it all right. I'll give it a fair chance.

Tonight was the premiere of season four, and so far, so good. They've covered their tracks pretty good so far, at least as far as the 'reveal' of four of the final five Cylons from last season's finale. The return of Starbuck was handled... adequately. The amnesia is a bit too convenient, but I'll go with it for now.

Baltar's new subplot is a bit unconvincing, but I suppose there is enough precedence from last season to justify his sudden 'faith'. Terrible job on his fake beard, though.

I'm kind of dreading the new direction they are setting up Lee for, with some sort of government position. Not sure where they're going with that except to make Lee president or vice president. Seems like just a way to set up more father-son tension down the line. Yawn...

But the best part of the show, and it's been this way since the beginning, is the stunning special effects work. I really can't say enough about how amazing the battle scenes are each time, and how they all have their own flavor. I'm not sure how a weekly cable show can put the special effects (space battles, anyway) of the most recent Star Wars movies to shame. I'd love to see a BSG space battle on the big screen one day.

Anyway, good episode. I give it a solid 8 out of ten.

No comments: